Customer Service

Customer Service

Comparion is dedicated to providing exceptional service and support to its customers by combining state-of-the-art support technology with experienced healthcare professionals who are friendly, conscientious, and competent to assist your organization in reaching its goals and objectives.

In a time when customer service seems like a thing of the past, we are pleased to report that in our most recent customer survey, 95% of our customers were “very pleased” with our service and support while the remaining 5% were “pleased.” Our commitment is to meet the needs of our customers; our goal is to exceed their expectations whenever possible.


"Comparion's customer service and training has been a breath of fresh air. Comparion support staff provides exceptional training, and what's more, they're proficient at data analysis. They don't just "license" software. Comparion worked extensively with our medical staff leadership, not just to facilitate buy-in to their software services, but to gain support for the entire performance improvement process. They got our medical staff excited about the data and pointed us in the right direction using significance testing which was easily obtained from the software. Comparion has also been very accessible for follow-up support as needed."

Administrative Director,
Quality Management

Baton Rouge General
Medical Center
Baton Rouge, LA


Baton Rouge General Medical Center is a 544-bed community hospital with a system-wide commitment to exceptional patient care. Baton Rouge General has been named Louisiana’s Hospital of the Year for nurse excellence by the Louisiana State Nurses Association four times—more than any other hospital in the state.